Friday, August 01, 2008

Shoe Progress

Step 1.
Pour a tall Vodka Tonic. Lime, of course. Stare at the fresh, white shoes.

Step 2.
Remove laces and mask off area where you don't want painted (unless you think you can work mega clean in which case you don't need it. I definitely did.)

Step 3.
I read somewhere that you need to rub the finish off of the area to be painted with some Acetone or else the paint will crack pretty easily. I didn't want to take the chance of that happening so I bought the stuff and used like 1/100 of it on the shoes. I've got heaps left if anyone needs some.

Step 4.
Apply some watered down acrylic paint and let dry.

Step 4a.
Do the same thing to the other side.

Step 5.
Threw a little spraypaint on.

Step 6.
Skipping ahead a little, I used more acrylic for the red and some black gesso to apply the little character head I've been doing lately.

Step 7.
Threw a couple coats of spray varnish on for security purposes.

Step 8.
Remove the masking tape and have your wife go out and hook up some fat black laces to bring the whole thing together. Thanks Chel.


Step 9.
(not shown)
Looking at the finished product, I realized that the red bit of my design was the exact logo for Target. I took some metallic gold acrylic paint that I have had for two years (and have used once before this) and applied it on top of the smaller, center circle. Turned out pretty sweet. The gold matched the stitching and the soul of the shoe.

That's it. I had a lot of fun with this and can't wait for the show opening tomorrow night! Come out if you can. Details.

No comments: